Search This Blog

Saturday, November 24, 2007

What We've Been Up To...


We had a great Thanksgiving, as the kids were intrigued by the headless turkey. Lots of questions came flying out of their mouths like "where's the head...why did the hunter kill the turkey...what do turkeys eat???" When dinner was served the questions ceased as the kids devoured the food in front of them and talked to their friends Elliott and Nate, who joined us for the feast along with their grandmother Phyllis.

Lots of questions have been floating around in my mind too, not about turkeys but about my dissertation topic and research. October and early November was a pretty exhausting time for us Beeson Pastors, though we all made it through and met our assignment deadlines. Our attention now begins to turn with more intentionality toward our dissertation.

The focus of my dissertation is to develop a model for preaching as a spiritual discipline, as opposed to a merely technical task. Too many preachers, myself included, get so caught up with homiletic technique and rhetorical ability that we sometimes forget how utterly reliant we are upon the power of God's Spirit to empower the words we preach. I'm not suggesting that the development of technique and rhetorical skills is unimportant; it is very vital to effective preaching. What my dissertaion argues, however, is that the technique of preaching should never take the lead in the homiletic dance with the spirituality of preaching.

So, I will develop a process for developing and delivering sermons that is more driven by spiritual disciplines than rhetorical technique. I hope to recruit 5 preaching pastors in the Penn-Jersey District of the Wesleyan Church who will employ my model for six months. My hunch is that their utilization of this spiritual homiletic will cultivate in them greater joy in preaching and more pronounced ethos (integrity/character/holiness) among the congregants to whom they speak. My hope and prayer is that the model I develop will invite the power of God's Spirit through my preaching and that of my pastoral colleagues in a heightened way. Because at the end of the day, the impact of Christian preaching relies more on the spiritual ethos than the rhetorical eloquence of the preacher. In other words, who the preacher is in Christ matters more than what they say and how they say it. Or, to put it another way, the power of a sermon comes more from the ethos of the preacher than the eloquence of the preaching.

I genuinely welcome your thoughts and questions about my dissetation focus, which will help me to better articulate my own thoughts and questions.

7 comments:

Jason, Nicole, and Rowen said...

Lenny,
Good to see you're getting some rest! We've been praying for you and your family and can't wait to see you guys over your Christmas break. I'm enjoying reading your thoughts on your dissertation and look forward to seeing your model put into practice. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving...give Amy and the kids a hug from Nicole, Rowen, and I.
-Jason

Lenny Luchetti said...

Hey Jason. Great to hear from you. Amy and I miss you guys and can't wait to see how Rowen has grown...we hope she looks like her mother!

Love and prayers

Anonymous said...

Hey Lenny and Amy,
I found your blog on Abson's site. It has been great catching up on your lives. I just have a quick question for you. I was just wondering when you would be back in PA? I will be speaking at a church our your way this next year and thought it would be fun to see you guys. I may also be in KY as well if you won't be back yet. Your kids are adorable! Blessings, Andrea

Lenny Luchetti said...

Hello Andrea,
Great to hear fom you. Send us an email and I'll reply with some info.

Blessings,

Unknown said...

Lenny,
I look forward to hearing more about your dissertation topic soon. As one who preaches each week, it definitely looks interesting and needed. (By the way, I'm totally jealous you had lunch with N. T. Wright!) Enjoyed the pictures of the kids. Merry Christmas.
Scott

Lenny Luchetti said...

Great to hear from you, Scott. Thanks for checking out my blog. Hope that we can perhaps connect some time this year in or near Wilmore.
Blessings

BJ said...

Hi Lenny,

Brett Jones here - a friend of Richard's - I stayed in your townhouse a few days ago! Thanks by the way... Anyways, there's a guy by the name of Paul Windsor who might be worth talking to re preaching as a spiritual discipline. He's the principal of the Bible College I study at and has some great insights on the process of generating an on target insight from scripture using a process he calls "The 1st XV" (a rugby metaphor). You can link to him off my blog or track him down through www.carey.ac.nz He's a Baptist but don't hold that against him...