Search This Blog

Monday, November 17, 2008

November 17: Acts 15

Here is what God is saying to me through this chapter:
There are several things in this chapter that strike me as very important. For one thing, we must learn from the early church not to make it too difficult for new believers to come to Christ in faith. Some of the more legalistic Christians were drawing lines in the sand that Jesus didn’t draw. These lines were a needless obstacle to Gentiles converting to Christ.

The other thing that strikes me about this chapter is the process of decision making that the early church used. When trying to decide what was essential for Gentiles converting to Christ, the early church used several tools in the decision making process. They consulted Scripture, each other, and their experiences.

Here is what I will do today because of what God is saying to me:
First, I will be careful not to overburden new believers with lines in the sand that Christ never drew. Second, when making decisions I will prayerfully reflect upon Scripture, consult with wise friends, and consider my experiences over the years to guide me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We need to reach out to seekers and new Christians first by showing our love. The first thing we must do is encourage them to develop a loving relationship with Jesus. They need a friend at church; otherwise they may go in one door and out the other. They need to understand that no matter what they have done, Christ loves and forgives them, and we need to do the same! Older Christians who reach out to the new people will remain vibrant in their faith. Sharing the fundamentals keeps your faith fresh and exciting.

The reason the Celebrate Recovery program works so well, is that is accomplishes all of the above! You do not need to be in the program to show your love, develop friendships or share your faith, so whether you are in CR or not, lets do it! I will continue to reach out with love to new (and old) faces at SWC.