Search This Blog

Saturday, August 16, 2008

And Heaven Rejoices!

Hello, I’m Brad Hockman, Men’s Ministry Director at Stroudsburg Wesleyan Church. Pastor Lenny asked me to write the Monday Morning Devotional for the week while he is at Spruce Lake speaking at the Family Camp all week long.

The three parables in Luke 15 show extreme joy in Heaven when the lost are found! My life is very similar to the younger son in the Parable of the Lost Son. I left home when I was 15 and it was not on the best of terms. I separated from my parents for several years. Before reconciling with my parents, it was all about sex, drugs and rock ‘n roll. I lived my life my own way, which was far from God’s way.

I reconciled with my earthly father long before my Heavenly Father. It’s awesome that you can take 20 steps away from God, but it takes only one step to return to Him. Now that’s amazing grace! I turned onto “God’s Way” three years ago and my life has improved dramatically. I’m sure there was joy in heaven when I met Pastor Lenny on the front steps of SWC for the first time!

The older brother, who thought himself far more worthy, refused to join the party. His attitude is like that of the Pharisees, who took great pride in proving their superiority.

Of the two brothers, which one reminds you of your own story?

How can you relate to the younger son?

I’ve been to a distant land.
I’ve struggled with wild living.
I’ve been flat broke.
I’ve struggled with deciding to return home
I’ve received my father’s forgiveness

Spiritually, which road are you on?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As both brothers stumbled, so have I. As so many of us, I've had my share of wild times. Also, I think too highly of myself at times. I'd like to think I'm on God's path, but I do end up doing so many things my way.

Lenny Luchetti said...

This is human nature, Richard. I struggle too. In fact, ever since those first humans in the Garden of Eden we have wanted to live life on our terms and not God's. Thankfully, God is gracious enough to love us still and persitent enough to transform us.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Pastor Lenny. Although I initially saw myself more like the younger brother, pride definately gets in the way of our walk with Christ. Enjoy your week in the beauty of nature miistering to the families.

Love and prayers, Brad