Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

Unchained Challenge: Luke 8

Scripture: Luke 8:37 Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear.

Observation: The people of the Gerasenes encounter the power of God in Christ to heal a demon-possessed madman and instead of welcoming Jesus they want him out of their region. Maybe the people are comfortable with the way things are. When a powerful person like Jesus shows up, things change. And who likes change? The people understand one thing- if Jesus stays on the scene of their lives it will necessarily entail change for everyone. People who are sick will get well. Sinners will turn to saints. The greedy will become generous. The status quo will be replaced with status go. I think of Beaver’s description of Aslan, the Christ figure, in Narnia… “of course he isn’t safe, but he is good.” If it is safety we are looking for then we probably don’t want to invite Jesus into the town of our lives.  

Application: As I get older (but not that old since I am still in my 30s for a little longerJ) the more I hunger for safety and status quo. I really have to fight this urge. If I really want Jesus to enter more fully into the “region” of my life I must abandon my quest for safety and ease. Every time I resist the changed Jesus is trying to initiate in my life, it’s like I am asking him to “leave.” Lord, today I invite you to come in and upset the status quo of my life so that I become more fully the person you made me to be.

Prayer: Come into my heart, Lord Jesus, there is room in my heart for thee! Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff as always! Thanks Lenny!

Where would your dissertation be published at? I would love to read it?

Lenny Luchetti said...

Thanks Keith. Shoot me an email and i will send a copy of my dissertation. Peace,Lenny