Search This Blog

Monday, November 21, 2011

Unchained Challenge: Luke 11

Scripture: Luke 11:34 Jesus says, “Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good your whole body will be full of light.”

Observation: Jesus says that what we take in through the eyes will impact everything else about us. When we look lustfully at things and people, it will adversely affect the rest of us. When we look compassionately at people in need, it will do our body good. When our response to what we see is jealousy or condescension, life is darkened. When prayers of praise and petition flow in response to what we see, our lives are lit up. Jesus looked at the world and everything in it with holy, selfless, and compassionate eyes. And he is “the light of the world.”

Application: Perhaps I can’t help what I see, but I can dictate the lens through which I view what I see. Instead of seeing a provocatively dressed woman and lustfully possessing her I will decide to selflessly pray for her. When I see one of my ministry friends experience fruitful success I will not burn with jealousy but celebrate with gratitude.   

Prayer: Lord, when I am content with your love, I don’t need to covet or lust with my eyes. Today, help me to live so in step with your Spirit that my eyes become an avenue through which I seek your kingdom “on earth as it is in heaven.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I realize I'm a few days behind but I'm getting there! Along with what you wrote Lenny, I think part of keeping our body full of light means making sure that we are not contaminated from the inside also. Pride can weasel its way in if we don't keep our guard up. Then, like the Pharisees, even things that look good are actually spoiled. You don't always know that milk is spoiled until it is poured out. If God were to pour me out, would He find me unspoiled?

"Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; Try my mind and my heart" show me if there is anything in me that is spoiling what I say and do. Guard my heart from pride and purge out any uncleanliness.