Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Sermon: God is Odd

I used the long geneology in Matthew 1 as the main text for this message. In this sermon I was trying my best to unpack the oddness of the Christmas story and the God who ochestrated it. I'm afraid we have heard the "good news of great joy" from the Christmas story so often that we have allowed the story to lose its oddness. And, I believe, that if the Christmas story and the God behind it loses its oddness then, in some capacity, it loses its power.

So, I invite you to click on this link http://www.stroudsburgwesleyan.org/index.php?page=audio_sermons2&audio_id=31 and reply to the sermon on this blog with your own reflections, questions and comments.

I look forward to hearing from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God’s creation of man is where oddness began. God could have created us all the same. He could have made us robots with no free will. Oddness adds variety and beauty to each of us. Christ affirms our differences. If we were all the same, our spiritual gifts would be cancelled out. Sameness leads to many sins…such as materialism and envy, because we would want to be like others or have what they have. May peace, joy, love and hope be with us all in spite of our differences and the odd circumstances that challenge each of us.