Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

November 26: Acts 26

Here is what God is saying to me through this chapter:
Paul is arrested and has to stand trial. We discover at the end of the chapter, through Agrippa’s words in v. 32, that Paul could have been set free if he had not appealed to Rome (i.e., “Ceasar”). The question is, why would Paul stay arrested and go through a trial if he didn’t have to? The answer seems obvious. Paul wasn't necessarily looking for a trial to defend himself; he was looking for an opportunity to share the good news about Christ with Agrippa and his household. In other words, Paul was willing to give up his freedom and convenience in order to serve the purposes of Christ.

Here is what I will do today because of what God is saying to me:
When it comes to choosing either my convenience or a chance to serve God’s purposes, I will go with the latter. Like Paul, I don’t want to make decisions based upon what works out best for me but based on how I can minister best to others in Jesus’ name. God, help me to see some of the obstacles I might face as opportunities to serve you today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For most of my life, I lived for my convenience, which led nowhere. Since focusing my life to serve God’s purposes, so much more joy and contentment fills my life. I pray that God continues to remove the obstacles in my life and that I continue to serve with Christ above all else.

Eric K said...

I know that it is quite late to weigh in on this one, but it was an appropriate challenge to something on my mind. Paul shared this passion with Jesus: both insisted on going to Jerusalem though both had prophecy and premonition that it would lead to persecution and even death. I often wonder how they knew this was the right course, though it seemed so wrong. Lord, help me to see with Your eyes beyond the immediate future to Your future and Your glory.