Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Unchained Challenge: Luke 7

Scripture: Luke 7:13 When the Lord saw her (the widow) his heart went out to her and he said “don’t cry.”

Observation: A woman has lost her husband and now her only son to death, which means she lost her hope and source of income. She is grieving and wondering how she will provide for herself. Many women in her position would be forced into prostitution or servitude to “make ends meet.” Despite his busyness, going from town to town to preach and heal, Jesus notices the woman. He “saw her and his heart went out to her.” This widow lost the men in her life, but she still had one Man who loved her. Jesus gives the man “back to his mother” (v.15).

Application: I am comforted by Jesus’ ability to see and care for me and others in the midst of grief and pain. But, I am also challenged by Jesus. Do I really see the people around me who are hurting in a way that elicits active compassion in me? Or, do I walk right past people looking at but not really seeing them? Today, I am going to slow down and see the people around me who are hurting. I will allow my heart to feel for them in a manner that leads me to act on their behalf.

Prayer: Lord, give me the eyes and heart of Christ to see the people around me who are grieving and hurting. And please give me the grace to act on their behalf in the name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments: