Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Unchained Challenge: Luke 13

Scripture: Luke 13:12b Jesus said “you are set free from your infirmities.”

Observation: Jesus came to set people free from illness, despair, regrets, sins, and the burdens placed on them by the religious leaders. The ministry of Jesus brought dignity to those who had lost it. The crippled woman was viewed as an outcast and sinner. “Surely she did something against God that brought that illness upon her,” thought the theologians of that day. Yet, Jesus saw past popular opinion to the deep need in this woman to be set free not only from her illness but the hopeless despair it caused her for nearly two decades.   

Application: On the eve of Thanksgiving day I am struck by the power of this verse. This saying from Jesus captures the story of my life. He has set me free from sin and despair by giving me the dignity of discipleship. Jesus saw past the popular opinions about me and loved me in such a potent way that my chains began to fall off. His love is disarming and chain-breaking! Although I am not as free as I can be, I am more free than I ever have been because Christ has set me free!

Prayer: Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you for breaking the chains that had wrapped themselves around my life. May the gratitude that wells up in me toward you lead to even greater freedom and the dignity that comes from a deepening relationship with you. Amen.

No comments: