Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

November 12: Acts 10

Here is what God is saying to me through this chapter: This is one of my favorite chapters in Acts because it highlights the power of God to transform people and orchestrate circumstances. Peter was taught all of his life not to associate with non-Jews, which meant not letting them in your home or going to their home if you were a Jew. Yet, in this chapter Peter invites non-Jews, called Gentiles, into his home and actually goes into the home of a Gentile to share the good news about Christ. A relationship with God will inevitably cause us to love people we have had a tendency not to love and to go places we would never dare to go before.

Here is what I will do today because of what God is saying to me: Because of my love for Christ, my love for all people is not an option. In other words, my allegiance to Christ mandates my love for all people, Democrats and Republicans, black, white and brown people, sinner or saint. Today, I will, like Peter, refuse to withhold love from anyone and I will listen for the Spirit’s leading to go wherever he leads me to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cornelius was “God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly.” (v. 2). The first major point is God notices and is very pleased with those who help the needy!

As expected, it is awkward when Peter meets Cornelius, who “fell at his feet in reverence” (v. 25). But Peter made him get up. "Stand up," he said, "I am only a man myself" (v. 26). Peter said, “God has shown me that I should not call any man impure or unclean” (v. 28). Although totally against customs for a Jew to associate with Gentiles, God took the initiative to break down prejudicial barriers by bringing Peter and the Gentiles together.

God can and will change us. He does not show favoritism. His free gifts of salvation, faith and forgiveness are for everyone.

I will continue to pray often, help out the needy and love everyone.

debbiebond said...

I may be simplifying this chapter, but I think it's amazing how God orchestrated putting Cornelius and Peter together so Peter could share the Gospel with the Gentiles. And they both followed what they were told with no questions asked. Neither of them questioned why or said pick someone else or made excuses not to obey. They just heard God speaking to them and went.

I also like how Peter was humble. Even though God gave him the ability to do many things, he still was humble and didn't want to be treated like anyone special. He was just happy and content with doing God's work and that was it.

Peter and Cornelius are a good example of what a follower of Jesus should be doing. I feel our church body is working hard at being both in our community.

Lenny Luchetti said...

Thanks for posting. I love reading how different parts of the story hit home profoundly with each of us.