Search This Blog

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Piety or Poverty?


As I grow older it becomes even clearer to me that I need God. Sometimes I allow my education, position, relationships or possessions to hide my need for God. But the fact is that I am as needy for God as a newborn is for milk, a poet is for inspiration, and an Italian is for pasta. I'm beginning to believe that the key to a developing and deepening friendship with Christ comes not from the awareness of my piety but my poverty without Him. Jesus would agree as He preached, "blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."


I welcome your thoughts...do you agree that growth in the Christian journey has as much to do with an awareness of our need for God as anything else?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought of scripture that says "our rightness is as filthy rags" and "no man should think more highly of himself than he ought to think" as a description of the quality of what is available to depend on outside of Christ. It is sort of like being "stuck in the mud" in a way - our own mud.

Anonymous said...

I believe that our awareness of our need for God comes through those life experiences we cannot handle. There is no better place than our backs against the wall, because it is then we become open and willing to have God work in us.
Until we realize we do not have the answers are we willing to seek his answers.

Anonymous said...

With increasing intensity, scope and frequency of occasion those in influence (and then adopted by those of even lesser maturation) have an appetite/impulse to measure/evaluate God Almighty by our diminished, corrupted “self standard” and “need orientation” perspective. How dare we enter the Holy of Holies with the strange fire of that which should have died on the brazen altar of the outer court, then should have been poured out then been cleansed away/arrested in the inner court.

“He must increase and I MUST decrease.” Jn. 3:30

Consider Paul’s perspective of ‘self’ in Gal. 2:16-21?

DDionSr